Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Kosher Vegetable Broth!!!

For months and months I have been searching for a prepared vegetable broth. Many WW recipes call for vegetable broth (or chicken broth), and as I get closer to the end of my weight loss journey (and closer to the start of my weight maintenance journey), I have become more aware of my sodium intake. As a rule, WW does not monitor or limit your daily sodium intake. To make matters more difficult, if you compare the nutritional labels on low-fat or reduce calorie products to their 'authentic' counterparts, you will find sodium is generally far higher on the low fat items. It's a simple concept: lower fat/calories will lead to lower taste- sodium is fat-free and has little to no calories, and packs a big taste punch. I mean, wars were fought over taste!

But I digress... Thus far, I have been using vegetable bouillon to make up my own vegetable broth for use in recipes. This makes matter doubly worse, as bouillon is that much HIGHER in sodium. So, every time I visit the kosher supermarket in Skokie, I diligently check the canned soups in search of vegetable broth, only to settle on yet another canister of powdered bouillon. Alas, my quest continued- until last night. DH and I currently live in a very hip neighborhood in Chicago, and 'very hip' usually lends itself to a population craving specialty items and an abundance of organic foods. The Jewel food store closest to our apartment has a very nice organic section, which I peruse from time to time... and lo and behold, came across a boxed vegetable broth! Imagine Natural Organic is under Kof-K supervision (except their chicken broth), and the vegetable broth is paerve!

Not only is this helpful in that I no longer need to mix up the bouillon, it also has HALF the sodium of a bouillon cube, which has roughly 1100 mg!

I guess this just goes to show sometimes it pays to think inside the box!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home