Monday, June 14, 2004

Long Overdue Exercise Post

As promised, here is my exercise post, belated though it may be.

A couple of weeks ago, I realized that I was always tired and lethargic- I really thought it was lack of sleep, or depression, or for sure I had mononucleosis and was going to be sick in bed for weeks on end missing countless simchas and ultimately losing my job due to absenteeism (wow- Gila was right! I am a catastrophist!). I figured I needed to sleep and rest as much as possible- so I tried to sleep, but I couldn’t sleep any more than usual, and even then, it wasn’t a fulfilling, restful sleep. Then I got a postcard in the mail from the Multiplex near my house. Now, as a quick back-story, Gila had spoken to the sales guy at the Multiplex a couple of months ago and the poor guy kept calling me to give me his pitch but it was never a good time. So, here I get this postcard advertising a free month at the gym if you participate in a fitness study (read: promotion). I figured, why not? I mean, I was considering joining, so why not try it out for a month free first.

The first time I went, I did 25 minutes on the bike, about 10 minutes of stretching and my PT exercises (bum knee). On my way home, I felt GREAT!! I mean, woo-hoo great! That night, I slept like a rock, and though I wasn’t 100% refreshed in the morning (after all, I only got about 5 hours of sleep), I felt 100% better than I did the day before. I was even in a better mood. I finally realized that I was so lethargic and sleepy because I wasn’t exercising. I used to go to Curves 3-4 times per week, and really loved it, but kinda out grew it, so to speak. It got really easy to just not go to any exercise, and since I never really relied on eating my exercise points, it didn’t matter that I wasn’t earning them- or so I thought. It’s not the points that matter, I realize now, it’s the feeling I have when I’m done. It kinda sucks while you’re exercising. You’re hot, sweaty, out of breath, generally gross and you wonder why in the world anyone would voluntarily do such horrible things to their body. And then it’s over- and you feel great!

So, children, go for an extra long walk with the dog tonight. Climb an extra flight of stairs tonight. Spend ½ hour stretching in front of your favorite TV (you’ll earn a point!) tonight. Whatever it is, do it tonight! You’ll thank yourself for it tomorrow!

Idea: check out the Couch to 5K program. It will take you from a couch potato to running 3 miles in two months! And you won’t believe how easy the first two weeks are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home