Tuesday, June 01, 2004

I Have a Good Excuse, Right?

I haven't blogged in a long time because there has been a lot going on- Yosef & Tova's wedding in Cleveland (Mazel Tov!), Shavuot, Camping for Memorial Day weekend... and it goes on- this weekend DH and I are leaving for Memphis for Ely & Amara's wedding (Mazel Tov!)...

So, in the little time I have today I want to say that Shavuot is an evil, evil holiday when it comes to WW. It's a wonderful, joyous holiday for yidden, one of my favorites, actually- but as it's traditional to eat dairy for the whole day, somehow that means you must have at least one kind of cheesecake or frozen dairy dessert at each of the four simcha meals. (A click on that link will prove my point better than anything at all!) Weddings, also, are a time of joy- and limited meal choices. Because of my hypoglycemia, I can't choose a vegetable or fruit platter unless I can bring food also (which is always questionable as to being rude, kashrut, etc.). The food at Yosef & Tova's wedding was, to top it off, excellent- so I had to eat the whole thing. Not to mention the decadent dessert and some tirimisu at the Kabbalat Panim. Why does food associated with a simcha always taste so good?

Camping is a whole 'nother story- it's very possible, easy almost, to eat OP while camping. BBQ can be bison- 1 point/ounce generally- marshmallows can be chowed on at the rate of 2 per point (and they're self-limiting: how many marshmallows can you eat at a time anyways?), and eggs for breakfast can easily become egg whites for breakfast. However- if you camp like the Strachans and Chai Campers (my parents' Jewish camping club out of the Detroit area), you camp in food-style. "Big Breakfast" consists of everything that comes close to being considered breakfast food, and I myself developed "The Mother" when I was about 12; The Mother is two eggs over easy with sauteed onions sandwiched between two 8-inch pancakes, both spread with butter, and the whole thing is doused in maple syrup. If you want the true Mother experience, you have some veggie sausage patties on the side with a big cup of orange juice. Oh- and you have to start your morning with a 4-point jar of Starbucks frappucino, of course. Lunch is super-thin sliced roast beef and cole slaw sandwiched between two pieces of fresh white bread, or canned ravioli. Dinner used to be sausage and sauerkraut- now, I don't care that much for sauerkraut- so dinner is BBQ with baked beans and grilled veggies.

This weekend's camping excursion was so restful, relaxing, I love being outside 24/7- and I actually didn't do as horribly as i make it out to be- but it was the end of a week of binging, and Monday evening I couldn't resist the sugar-free Eli's cheesecake in the fridge (another Shavuot tag-along). I had a piece- at 200 calories, 2 grams fiber, and 16 grams fat. Just goes to show- sugar free is far from fat free.

Y'know the worst thing about binging for a week is you get used to eating a lot- and you get used to never being hungry. Today, I'm 100% OP again, with my yogurt breakfast, turkey sandwich lunch, and snack of grapes, but I'm hungry hungry hungry. Gam zu l'tovah- This also is good- if I'm hungry now, maybe I'll be less likely to binge next year for Shavuot...

More later on some new WW products that are kosher- but I should do SOME work today, y'think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home