Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Serve Unto Others...

Last week, I hosted a Tupperware party (ain't I suburbanized?). The appropriateness of “Tupperware” and “party” being in the same sentence aside, it was a gathering of individuals and in Jewish circles, that is an excuse for food. I bought fresh vegetables and FF Ranch dip, cantaloupe and a very small container of sprinkled cookies. DH, upon seeing the cookies, exclaimed ‘why are you bringing those in here? [aka, our house] We don’t need cookies!’ I explained they were for the Tupperware party guests, and he replied, ‘we don’t need to serve other people that which we won’t, or at least shouldn’t, eat ourselves.’ He was entirely right- not to mention that I’m pretty sure I was the only one eating the cookies during the party, let alone after the party.

During the conversation, I attempted to argue with DH (it’s a pastime), but couldn’t come up with a reasonable response. I mean, we don’t serve people food that isn’t Kosher, because we wouldn’t eat it. Friends of mine who are vegetarian don’t serve meat, as they wouldn’t eat it. Someone who is lactose intolerant wouldn’t serve a full-on dairy meal, someone who is allergic to peanuts wouldn’t serve PB&J, etc etc etc. Yet somehow, we’ll serve the highest fat baked goods and most succulent meats to our closest friends and family on a regular basis. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve asked someone to bring baked goods to my house for one occasion or another, and in the same breath admonished them to take them home when said event concludes- ‘I can’t have that stuff around,’ I explain. Why, then, is it somehow acceptable to 1) have it around for the event in the first place, and 2) encourage those I care about to indulge in whatever it is I wouldn’t be able to turn down, myself.

So, from now on, if I'm not willing to buy or make something for myself, I'm not going to serve it to my guests. As Hillel teaches while standing on one foot, “What is distasteful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole Torah, all the rest is commentary, go and learn it.” Go learn.

1 Comments:

At 10:12 AM, Blogger Another meshugannah mommy said...

Oooh - a Tupperware party! I dare say you are turning into me! Now all you need is a minivan.

Just don't descend into the Tastefully Simple (yes, they have kosher prodicts) or Pampered Chef madness!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home