Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Shana Tovah!

This will be my last post for a number of days, and I've been holding it back because... I don't exactly know what to post! Over the past two days I have been trying to plan out exactly what our plans will be for meals over Rosh HaShanah, which starts this evening and continues directly through Shabbat. My diligent planning skills, I have found, apparently apply in volume but don't transfer well to few and small, intimate meals with friends and family. DH and I will be eating out, or alone, for better than half of the meals over the next three days, and will be hosting two meals, with two guests at each. That means, rather than planning meals for 8+ people, I'm planning meals for 4. Should be less stressful, right?

Last night I bought nearly $100 in produce, 2 chickens and a roast. I'll make what I make from that. While I have recipes in mind, I haven't written out a menu, an ingredient list or a cooking timeline, and therein lies the anxiety.

Perhaps I am feeling anxiety at being at the cusp of a new year, when I don't know how exactly to take stock of the previous year? Last year, I saw my weight loss journey as 'far from over', and questioned whether I'd really be able to do this for the rest of my life. Last year, I started to examine my synagogue, the community and my place in each. Last year, I knew what I was eating for each yontif meal, where, and with whom. This year, I stand less than 5 pounds from my weight loss goal, and I know I can 'do this for the rest of my life.' This year, I stand in place to grow Jewishly, and challenge myself to take on greater observance- and be more tolerant. This year, I have the raw ingredients- and little to no plan... and somehow, that's ok.

I think that's what it comes down to for me right now. I have the ingredients, and the wherewithal to put it together. Life can't be planned to the tiniest minutiae, the most we can do is have the proper building blocks- and the potential to use them. I thank DH and Uncle Paul for teaching me that.

A word, also, at this time of prayer. Please pray for Avraham Volf ben Razel this year. He taught me, 'if money can solve it- it's not a problem.' May he have a refuah sh'leimah.

May we all merit a year of happiness, strength, love, peace, challenges, successes, and a bounty of raw ingredients.

L'shana Tova -- Ketivah vi-chatima Tova.
For a good year -- You should be written and sealed in the good (Book of Life).

1 Comments:

At 8:55 AM, Blogger Elianah-Sharon said...

L'Shana Tovah!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home