Tuesday, September 28, 2004

I Never Appreciated an Insult So Much!

Last night, we had a visitor, whom we will call JR. JR stopped by our new place for the first time, and saw some of the photos we have haphazardly hanging on the pre-existing nails the previous owners were kind/lazy enough to leave in the walls. Most of these photos are pre-WW pictures. JR knows DH from growing up/the neighborhood, but didn't know me well and therefore didn't really remember what I used to look like. Upon seeing my 'before' pictures, he exclaimed "Wow! You were really big!" You have to understand, my immediate thought was 'well, duh', and my second thought was- 'if you think that photo shows me big, you should see the others!' It truly didn't occur to me until later that usually someone exclaiming "you were really big" is an insult! In retrospect, though, it's pretty cool that the comment only applies in past tense.

In JR's defense, if there needs to be one, I was really big, and he really meant it as a compliment, which I readily accept- and appreciate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home