Thursday, July 15, 2004

The Nine Days

We are currently in a time of the Jewish calendar known as The Three Weeks, which culminates with Tisha B'Av, the ninth of the Hebrew month of Av. Aish.com has a very extensive collection of articles, and I'll leave you to get your details there. During this time of mourning for the loss of the holy temples in Jerusalem, Orthodox Jews do not hold celebrations or attend parties and concerts, and many do not listen to any music whatsoever. Specifically as it relates to food, during the 9 days preceding Tisha B'Av, Orthodox Jews refrain from eating meat (except on Shabbat). Therefore, I have started to find new non-meat dishes that will help me stay on program during that time.

To that end, I encourage all who visit, read, frequent, or peruse these pages to leave comments including your favorite recipes or food ideas.

Here's one I made last night that was a big hit with my black-bean-loving DH. By the way, the only link I could find for the Down To Earth Cookbook was for an Amazon listing. So you know, I bought this paperback cookbook for $10 through WW International about 4 years ago. It's good, but (IMHO) this lady has no business charging $49?!

Vegetarian Black Bean Chili
WW Cookbook: Down To Earth
Servings: 4
Points/Serving: 5

2 cans black beans, undrained
2 cups pre-browned vegetarian crumbles (I use Smart Ground)
2 8-oz cans tomato sauce
1 cup chunky salsa
1 Tbsp chili seasoning mix (I didn't have this, so I put in 2 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp basil and 1 tsp garlic powder)
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground red pepper (I used crushed red pepper)
8 Tbsp shredded cheddar cheese
4 Tbsp Reduced Fat Sour Cream
green or white onions for garnish (optional)

Drain and rinse one can of black beans. Mash beans in a large saucepan (4 quart, if you have it). Add second can of beans, not drained or rinsed. Add crumbles, tomato sauce, salsa and seasonings. Bring just to a gentle boil, or until warmed enough to eat. Serve topped with cheese, sour cream and onions. Serving size: 1 1/2 cups chili, 2 tbsp cheese, 1 Tbsp sour cream.

1 Comments:

At 7:04 PM, Blogger Another meshugannah mommy said...

Sounds delish! I'll have to try the recipe - always looking for something new. Thanks for the comments in my blog - I was nervous about starting, but really enjoy it. I gave you a reciprocal link.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home